Name:
Location: Whitby, Ontario, Canada

Born in Malta but in Canada since age 5. Has written three books and presently does several columns about wine and food for various magazines.

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Taking Off To Munich----Cyprus Trip Day One!

Toronto Pearson September 15th
It was noon when I arrived at Pearson International Airport. The drizzle was steady and the mood was apprehensive to say the least. This was the first adventure I have had without my two colleagues,  Roy and Sandie being with me. It felt strange being alone on an adventure with only myself to work with.
I approached the Lufthanza "check-in" counter to find out that I had to use a "check-in" machine in order to get my bags weighed etc. Most who know me know that I simply dislike and do not trust anything mechanical. Here I had to rely on a machine for my trip's success thousands of miles away from home. I was not comfortable.
An information guide saved my bacon by assisting me in the "check-in" and with bags now in storage waiting their long trip, I waited for the adventure to move forward. The very long security line moved as slowly as it could. While  the feet slowly shuffled towards the security scanners and belts, shoes, coins in pockets, jackets etc. all came off, I thought about the long gone days when flying was actually fun and without hassle.
Eventually I was through the line up and making my way through to the boarding gate which ironically had been the one that started the "Two in a Vineyard" television series several years ago------Gate E 79.
Munich   
The flight to Germany was basically uneventful. I spent the seven and a half hours watching a movie and chatting with an NFL Football Player who was on his way to Poland. All I can say is that between the two of us, space in that section of the plane was at a premium.
The plane arrived on time in Munich at around 7:30 AM. Those of us who were making connecting flights went down the long, long, long pathway to yet-----another security line. This did not make any sense to me since we had already been poked, prodded and questioned but it was a fact that we had to wait an hour to have the pleasure to do this again. What joy I felt!
That done, I made my way to Gate H39 to wait for my Cyprus flight LH1760. When the time came those going to Cyprus were bussed to another Airbus where we boarded for the final destination to Larnaka.
The roughly four hour flight went quickly and was yet again---uneventful. A taxi was waiting for me as I came out of arrivals and off we went to the southern coast of the island and the city of Limassol.
Limassol
Also known as Lemesos, Limassol is the second largest city in Cyprus and a very important one as a cultural, trade and educational centre. It has a colourful history that dates back to ancient times to at least 2000 BC and beyond. Richard the Lionheart of England is noted for his occupation there during the Third Crusade in the late 12th Century. He later sold it to the Knights Templar and after that to french interests where it prospered for over three hundred years.
Following that it came under the auspices of Venetian, Ottoman and finally the British in the late 19th Century.
The city seems prosperous and excitingly vibrant.
Mediterranean Beach Hotel
The taxi drove up to my new home for the next seven days at the Mediterranean Beach Hotel. I was impressed with what I saw and quickly retired to my room for some much needed rest.
END OF DAY ONE